St. Alexis Hospital

St. Alexis Hospital second building was built in 1896, now demolished and replaced. When founded in 1884, it was Cleveland's second largest Catholic hospital. Sisters Leonarda and Alexia of the Order of St. Francis opened the hospital in a brick 8-room house on the corner of Broadway and Mcbride to serve the workmen and factories beginning to locate in Newburgh. In 1906, Dr. George Crile performed the world's first direct blood transfusion between humans. The child injured in the tornado that destroyed St. Stanislaus Church died here in 1909. (The Southeast Today)

 

Sr. Leonarda, founder of St. Alexis Hospital  
St. Alexis Hospital, renamed St. Michael Hospital, vacant, awaiting demolition or possible conversion, April 2006 April 2006
The original hospital was begun in this 8-room brick residence in the same location as the current building.  The "new" second building is adjacent. The 1896 St. Alexis Hospital, now demolished

 

The cornerstone of St. Alexis Hospital, side facing Broadway Avenue, above corner wall of canopy sheltering the main entrance.  The opposite face of the cornerstone names carpenters and masons who worked on the current building (1959).  The Slavic Village Historical Society hopes to save the cornerstone if the building is demolished.